Today we are going to teach you how to prevent wrinkles in clothes! There’s nothing worse than having the perfect outfit in mind only to head to your closet and realize that it’s a wrinkled mess. You may not have the time (or desire) to pull out your ironing board and iron before you head out the door. What to do?!
If you really want to banish wrinkles for good, you’ve got to put in a bit of preventative work. Not to worry — it’s nothing too complicated, and the tips below can really make a big difference. Don’t underestimate the power of good organization. This involves (of course) using the right hangers!
Use The Right Hangers To Prevent Clothing Wrinkles
First things first, you’ve got to get your closet organization in check! The steps we’ll share below will be in vain if you don’t have a clean and organized space to store your clothing. Start by giving your closet a good clean-out. Take everything out and create three piles: things to keep, things to donate or sell, and things to toss. This step may take a while, but it’ll be worth it in the end! Once your wardrobe is empty you can start to rearrange your things.
While there are some clothing items that you can fold and store on shelves or in drawers and bins, you’re better off hanging wrinkle-prone pieces. Dress shirts, pants, dresses, and skirts are all things that you should hang. Now, remember, not all hangers are created equally. We recommend that you pick up these slim wood hangers, slim plastic hangers, or (if you want to splurge) our sueded luxe wood hangers for the best results.
Laundry Best Practices For Preventing Wrinkles In Clothes
Much of what you can do to prevent clothing wrinkles starts with how you do your laundry. Wrinkling can easily occur if you don’t sort your clothing correctly or even if you use your dryer in a certain way.
- Separate your clothes by fabric: We all know how important it is to separate colors when doing laundry. But, if you really want to take your clothes washing skills to the next level (and prevent wrinkles while doing it), you should also separate fabric weights. Put heavy items like jeans together and lighter items made from cotton or linen in a different load. When you do so, your clothing will come out wrinkle-free, and you’ll also save time in the dryer!
- Choose the right dryer cycle: Speaking of dryers, you need to play around with the settings in order to choose the best cycle. Go for whatever cycle that includes a “cool down” period as it can help the fibers in your clothing keep their original shape. You should never overdry your clothes as this causes wrinkles that have formed to really set in. It’s always better to pull items out when they’re still a bit damp so that they can hang dry instead of overheating!
- Unload your dryer intentionally: We’ve all been there — you’re short on time so you simply dump all of your clean clothes into a laundry basket. Unfortunately, this is how a lot of wrinkling occurs. We suggest that you take the time to fold and hang your clothes immediately after they come out of the dryer. It’s one of the best tricks for preventing wrinkles.
How To Prevent Wrinkles In Clothes In A Crunch
You can absolutely use the trusty “steam while you shower” trick to remove clothing wrinkles, although it doesn’t work perfectly every time. And, if you just really want to avoid ironing you can always invest in a steamer. If you have a bit of extra time, you can also toss a lightly dampened towel into the dryer with the wrinkled items and tumble dry for 5 minutes. There are also several different types of sprays out there that remove wrinkles easily.
When it comes down to it, learning how to prevent wrinkles in clothes starts with a clean closet and quality hangers. With a solid foundation of organization, you won’t have to deal with wrinkles anymore!
- Best Tips When You Have A Portable Closet – A portable closet can go a long way if you’re short on closet space. Here’s how to keep yours organized!
- Maximize Small Closet Space With These Tips – You can get a lot of use out of a small space when you know the best ways to maximize it! These tips will help you get started.
- Hanger Tips: How To Select The Right Hangers – You know you need hangers to prevent wrinkles and keep your closet in top condition. Learn how to choose the right ones here.